Julie Copeland, the longtime Executive Director of Emerge Virginia, has taken a new position as Vice President and Research Director at Chadderdon Lestingi Creative Strategies, a national political campaign consulting company located in Alexandria, Virginia. Emerge Virginia is seeking applicants for the Executive Director position. The job description follows and interested applicants should contact Alexsis Rodgers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emerge Virginia is a highly effective candidate training program whose mission is to recruit, train and inspire Democratic women in Virginia to run for public office at the local, state and national levels. Emerge Virginia has been training women since 2013 and in six years has trained 209 Democratic women; 26 of whom serve in elected office. 67 are currently on the ballot in 2019.
Emerge Virginia is an affiliate of Emerge, a dynamic and growing national network of affiliates currently working in 25 states. 415 Emerge alumnae won their general election races in 2018, including five women in Congress and nine statewide offices across the country. The Executive Director will be an employee of Emerge.
For more information about Emerge Virginia and the entire Emerge network, please visit www.emergeva.org.
We are seeking a dedicated and skilled individual to serve as the full-time Executive Director. This position will report to the EmergeAffiliate Director and the Board Chair of Emerge Virginia. The primary responsibilities include but are not limited to: fundraising and development, training program promotion and implementation, class recruitment, board management, public relations, information management, support for program members and alumnae and execution of the Emerge Virginia training programs.
The Executive Director oversees all aspects of the Emerge Virginia training program and is responsible for expanding and maintaining the organizational infrastructure and network. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Program & Communications
- Recruit, train and inspire Democratic women to run for office;
- Execute the signature seven-month and weekend candidate training programs, including recruiting program members, managing all training logistics, scheduling and preparing trainers;
- Provide ongoing support, coaching and continuing education to alumnae as they embark on running for office or advancing in politics;
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization and manage all external communications and media relations, including social media;
- Represent the organization at coalition meetings and with partner organizations and develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders.
Fundraising & Administration
- Manage day-to-day operations for the organization;
- Direct all fundraising efforts, with board involvement, including: event management and donor solicitation in person or via phone, email and mail;
- Cultivate and maintain relations with donors;
- Create and oversee the organization’s annual budget and finances;
- Maintain the organization’s files, data and information.
- Build and manage relationships with the Emerge Virginia Board of Directors and oversee all board governance, including scheduling and preparing for board meetings, participating in board recruitment, development and training;
- Support and engage Emerge Virginia program members and alumnae;
- Maintain and grow a vibrant, inclusive network of diverse Emerge alumnae, women in office, male supporters, donors, trainers, mentors, recruits and others to ensure meaningful connections for Democratic women in Virginia;
- Ensure that Emerge Virginia is actively participating with the national Emerge organization;
- Identify opportunities to expand programmatic offerings.
- Relevant educational and/or professional training and experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to Democratic ideals;
- Strong fundraising and organizational skills;
- Passion for and knowledge of women’s political leadership issues and Virginia politics;
- Comfort with public speaking and excellent written and oral communications;
- Experience running for office or working on a political campaign;
- Non-profit management experience in some of the following functions: boards of directors, staff, budgets, administrative functions, program development and fundraising;
- Ability to develop trusted and effective working relationships with diverse constituencies, including board members, staff, donors, volunteers, supporters and stakeholders.
- Ability to handle confidential matters with a high degree of tact and discretion;
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, be self-motivated, as well as work collaboratively with colleagues around the state and country;
- A valid driver’s license and insured vehicle. In-state travel and limited out-of-state travel is required, although expenses are reimbursable.
PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Familiarity with database tools, NGPVAN, WordPress, etc. a plus;
- Experience with the Emerge program a plus.
JOB SCHEDULE AND LOCATION
- The executive director must be based in Virginia. Evening and weekend work will be required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range: $55,000-$65,000 with benefits such as health insurance and paid vacation leave. Emerge is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace.
For consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and the names of three professional references to email@example.com.